And among the values in Hanoi, local food becomes a typical highlight. Going with the long history, the dishes in this city have created a very unique flavor that is hard to find anywhere else. If you are a foodie and have an opportunity to come to this destination, you can try these tasty ones. After introducing each local dish, we add famous addresses for you to come and taste it.
1. Pho Hanoi (Hanoi Noodle Soup)
Pho has become a popular gift of Hanoi, not only in this land but also around Vietnam. Specifically, it is great to taste this noodle soup here.
The ingredients and the way to cook pho are similar everywhere, but Hanoi noodle soup has a unique taste by combining and skills of the Hanoians when cooking it. That is why so many tourists have expressed their interest in and love this specialty when traveling to Vietnam.
A few famous pho places in Hanoi:
- Pho Thin: 12 Lo Duc Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi. Price: 40,000 – 60,000 VND/bowl.
- Pho Ly Quoc Su: 10 Ly Quoc Su Street, Hang Trong, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi. The price is 50,000 – 90,000 VND/bowl.
- 49 Bat Dan Restaurant: 49 Bat Dan Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi. The price is about 50,000 VND/bowl.
A mong of them, I like Pho at 49 Bat Dan the best, which is located in Hanoi Old Quarter.
2. Bun Cha Hanoi
A local dish in Hanoi that is as well-known as Pho is Bun cha. President Obama also tried this food and loved its taste during his working journeys to Vietnam. Vermicelli is served with fried meat, and grilled pork, … and the broth is cooked according to the heirloom recipe, making it tastier.
Famous addresses Bun cha in Hanoi:
- Bun Cha Obama (Bun Cha Huong Lien): 24 Le Van Huu Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi. The price comes from 45,000 VND/serving.
- Bun Cha Dac Kim: 1 Hang Manh Street, Hang Gai, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi. Prices come from 50,000 – 60,000 VND/set.
3. Banh Tom Ho Tay (West Lake Shrimp Cake)
Each greasy cake is deeply fried and mixed with sweet shrimp meat, wrapped in fresh raw vegetable leaves, and finally added the taste of fish sauce making this become a unique snack. Of course, the main ingredient is shrimp used to be from West Lake. However, now to supply a big need, shrimps can come from other areas. And, other ingredients includeing rice flour, tapioca flour, egg, sweet potato, and turmeric are used to create more flavors to this food.
One note is to taste these shrimp cakes, different places have various prices because a few restaurants count the price per piece while others sell it per dish. Each shrimp cake will fluctuate in the price range of 10,000 – 20,000 VND, and the price of a dish will be from 50,000 – 130,000 VND. You should carefully check the menu and the price before ordering.
Address to taste this food:
- Banh Tom Ho Tay: 1 Thanh Nien Street, Tay Ho District, Hanoi. Opening hours: 9:00 am – 9:00 pm.
- Co Am Shrimp Cake: Dong Xuan Alley, Hang Chieu, Hanoi. Opening hours: 10:30 am – 1:00 am, 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm.
- Banh Tom Ho Tay: 15 Hang Tre Street, Ly Thai To, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
4. Bun Dau Mam Tom
Bun Dau Mam Tom (Vermicelli with fried tofu and shrimp paste) has become typical local food for many generations in Hanoi. Although the ingredients are simple, the combination of these toppings such as boiled meat, fried spring rolls, intestines, tofu, vermicelli, and herbs create such a great taste. You can find Bun Dau is available everywhere, but Hanoi is the most special.
Famous address to taste this food:
- Bun Dau Mam Tom Ngo Tram: 1B Ngo Tram Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi. The price of a full part is around 50,000 VND.
- Bun Dau Mam Tom Tung Huong: 49 Phat Loc lane, Hang Bac, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi. Price comes from 20,000 – 80,000 VND/set.
- Bun Dau Mam Tom Ma May: 8 Ma May Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi. The price comes to about 50,000 VND/set.
5. Pho Cuon (Noodle rolls)
If pho is a famous Hanoi specialty, pho roll is its variation also on the list of tasty food in this capital and Vietnamese dishes. Each noodle roll has a faint aroma and is wrapped with pork inside, served with fresh vegetables. Then, you dip it in a strong dipping sauce to enjoy a nice taste.
Famous address to taste pho rolls in Hanoi:
- Pho roll Phuong Mai: 25 Ngu Xa Street, Truc Bach, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi. Price: 35,000 – 50,000 VND/set.
- Pho roll Hung Ben – Ngu Xa: 33 Ngu Xa Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi. Price: 30,000 – 60,000 VND/set.
- Pho roll Huong Mai: 25 Ngu Xa Street, Truc Bach, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi. Price: 30,000 – 50,000 VND/set.
6. La Vong fish cake
This local dish is created with a typical recipe, enriching Hanoi specialties. Fish cake has a fatty taste and fragrance from fish, served with Vietnamese herds and dills. Then, dip fish cake and herds into strong shrimp sauce.
A note to you is that the price of La Vong fish cakes is a little high, ranging from 150,000 to 400,000 VND per set for 1-3 people. So, you should go with a group of friends to get a better chance to taste different dishes.
Address to taste La Vong fish cake:
- Vua Cha Ca Tran Hung Dao: 26C Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
- Ha Thanh fish cake: 20 Nguyen Van Huyen Street, Cau Giay District, Hanoi.
- Vong Ngu fish cake: 29 Nguyen Chi Thanh Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi.
7. Grilled Intestines
To try some grilled intestines and sip wine to warm up the body can be a typical experience in Hanoi. What a wonderfully strange thing is! Each piece of intestine is both crispy and chewy, giving you a complex aroma.
The price of the grilled intestine will be calculated by skewers or dishes, costing from 70,000 – 120,000 VND per dish.
Address to taste strange grilled intestines in Hanoi:
- Gam Cau Barbecue – 6 Gam Cau Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
- Long Ran Nhat Quan – 23 Nguyen Sieu Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
- Long Quan Yummy – 58L Ngo Thi Nham Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi.
8. Trang Tien Ice Cream
Trang Tien ice cream was established in 1958, and has preserved and crystallized unique and distinct flavors from that time until now. You will find a different taste of this ice cream that is so cool during hot days in Vietnam. You can find many kinds of ice cream, costing from 10,000 VND.
- Trang Tien Minh Khai Ice Cream – 458 Minh Khai, Times City Urban Area, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi.
9. Dried beef salad
Hanoi dried beef salad is an interesting local dish, so take the time to taste it. This salad is made from dried beef, and dried beef liver, and is served with papaya and herbs. Being chewy, sweet, and crunchy can make you feel something interesting from this unique food.
Dried beef salad is served by plate. Each plate costs about 50,000 VND.
Addresses to try tasting it:
- Long Vi Dung Beef Salad – Address: 53 Dinh Tien Hoang, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi
- Mai Nga Ham Long Salad – Address: 25 Ham Long, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi
Hopefully, with this introduction of Hanoi’s local food, you can save time to choose the popular dishes to taste during your holidays in this city.
Please save this post or share it with your friends to encourage us to supply more useful information! Thank you!